Dr. Mehmet Oz examined an extreme diet that promises to help you lose 15 pounds in one week on the April 25 episode of the Dr. Oz Show.
Dr. Oz’s guest was obesity expert Dr. Alwin Lewis, a proponent of low-calorie diets for weight loss and longevity. Dr. Lewis said thinner people live longer, healthier lives than overweight individuals, so he created the “Five Bite Diet,” where you basically eat no more than five bites of food at each meal.
Dr. Lewis’ diet involves skipping breakfast and eating five bites of food at lunch and dinner. He also recommended taking a multivitamin every day, and said 800 of his patients have lost a total of over 16,000 pounds using his 5 Bite Diet.
Dr. Lewis, author of Why Weight Around?, modeled his 5 Bite Diet program after the eating plans used by gastric-bypass patients, who are physically incapable of eating more than a few bites of food after their bariatric surgeries.
Research Shows Calorie Restriction Promotes Longevity
While Dr. Lewis’ diet may sound extreme, several scientific studies have shown that drastically reducing calories prevents disease and enhances longevity. Eating less minimizes the cellular damage caused by metabolizing food, said Brian Delaney, author of The Longevity Diet.
Eating frequently and large amounts forces the body to consistently release insulin, which fuels inflammation and causes your body to store fat. Some proponents of calorie restriction say we can all live to 100 or more simply by cutting back on our food intake. Of course, the food we do eat has to be nutrient-dense.
Dr. Oz spoke to a 36-year old woman who lost over 100 pounds in nine months by following Dr. Lewis’ Five Bite Diet. The woman said she feels great and would recommend the 5 Bite Diet to anyone serious about weight loss.
Dr. Oz is worried that the Five Bite Diet is a gateway to anorexia, but Dr. Lewis said the point of his diet is for people to become mindful of the food they put into their mouths, not to starve themselves. He noted that calorie restriction has been scientifically proven to stall aging and cellular damage.
Natural Mood Boosters
On a separate segment of his show, Dr. Oz revealed natural mood enhancers. Dr. Oz said hormone fluctuations, stress, and anxiety make us prone to wild mood swings. Fortunately, there are several natural, inexpensive remedies that have been shown to enhance mood:
– Cashews. Cashews are rich in zinc, which helps regulate hormones. Several studies have also shown that nuts in general enhance longevity.
– Asian ginseng. Also known as Panax ginseng, Dr. Oz said Asian ginseng promotes a calm feeling.
– Passionflower extract. Passionflower extract has been shown to calm frazzled nerves, relieve anxiety and induce restful sleep.
– Flaxseed oil. Dr. Oz said flaxseed oil eases mood swings. It has also been shown to protect against heart disease and cancer.
Other articles you might like;
- Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition S05E03 – Tiffany and Cain
- How to get a Thigh Gap – Taking a Picture
- How to get a Thigh Gap – Cosmetic Hacks
- How to get a Thigh Gap – Toning The Thighs
- Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition S05E02 – Josh and Kelli